View Single Post
Old 02-21-2010, 07:45 AM   #20
plowking
well DENG

Default Re: Penny Hardaway appreciation thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
I'm not sure Vince was ever as good as Penny was in 1996. Possibly 2001 or 2005, but even then it's debatable. If Penny had stayed healthy I have very little doubt he would have had a better career than both of them.

Back to Back All-NBA 1st team selections and All-NBA 3rd team in a season that he only played 59 games in. 10th in MVP voting in 1995 and 3rd in 1996. Played on four 50 win teams, 2 conference finals, an NBA finals and a 60 win team.

T-Mac was healthy a lot longer and never finished as high as 3rd in MVP voting and he only matched Penny with 2 All-NBA 1st team selections. Technically including the 2009 Rockets, T-Mac matched him with four 50 win teams, but he never made it out of the first round and never won 60 games.

Carter has never played on a 50 win team, never played in the conference finals, has just 2 all-nba selections(2nd and 3rd team) and has never finished higher than 10th in NBA voting.

As far as what they did on the court? Penny was a better passer/playmaker and defender than either of them, although they both have him beat in scoring, shooting and rebounding. But Penny was better at making his teammates better and I think he was a better winner in a 5 on 5 game of basketball.

See right there, you over rate him once again.

Penny only got to the first team because Jordan was sitting out. Also, in no way was he better than Payton that season, though simply got it over him because he was the NBA's love child who sat beside the lovable Shaq. They were one of the most popular teams.
Once again, Payton was better the following year.

Also, in no way is Penny a better defender than T-Mac. Tracy came into the league regarded as a premier defender and someone who can cause havoc for other long, athletic wings, and he did that in his first few seasons.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote