View Single Post
Old 03-24-2010, 07:19 PM   #14
DarkSephiroth
Alex Mak

DarkSephiroth has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Latest Basketball Clip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLsmak
Very nice. I like your jumper even though you lean on it. That's one part of my game that I could never really figure out... being able to create my own jumper. Luckily, it was almost always "back off and let him shoot."

I know this sounds pathetic, but I envy you for one thing: you height. haha. Six feet isn't tall at all, but compared to me, it is. I'm like 5'6.5 and bball is my favorite sport. Sad, huh.

But you're half asian, too, huh? I'm half East-Indian... although I don't think it's why I'm such a midget.

Props. I'm dying for it to get warm out this year so I can put in some more work.

Keep posting these videos, too.

-Smak

Height is somewhat irrelevant at the point guard position anyways. If you're shorter, you can make up for it with quickness, and court savvy. I almost always play against larger defenders, and I use my Basketball IQ to outsmart them. 5'7 is a fine height for a point guard at most levels. I have a team-mate who plays with me a whole bunch of leagues. He is about 5'7, but super athletic and can dunk. When I play him, it almost feels like he has a height advantage on me! I have to outquick and outsmart him constantly, whereas he can just rise up and over me on his end. Height is only an obstacle until you develop skills or abilities that can offset it. I was always tiny growing up (5'1 Freshman Year of High School), and I was doing fine on the basketball court. Luckily, I grew a lot in high school, but my game mechanics are still the same and I believe they would still work had I not grown.

I'm not really sure what you mean by "Lean" on my jumper. I jump slightly forward when I shoot the ball, it's something I've always done. But I'm still squared up and all the form mechanics are good, I don't really lean one way or the other unless I'm purposely shooting a fading shot of some sort.
DarkSephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote