View Single Post
Old 09-16-2010, 10:02 PM   #18
jlauber
3-time NBA All-Star

jlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: All-Defensiev teams 1955-1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
I do believe Russell was the best defensive player of that era, but I don't see the point in using stats you don't understand. In general, I don't like advanced stats, but I think they're even more pointless in the case of defensive win shares in the 60's for the reasons stated.

However, regarding defensive stats at the time, I do find the blocked shots from newspaper articles at the time interesting. I try to research them from time to time.

Apparently, Wilt averaged over 5 bpg in the '73 season while Elmore Smith averaged 3.9 that year(Psileas found an article that had Smith's blocks for the season before blocks were officially kept). I'd guess atleast 7 bpg for the 1972 season. I know he averaged 7.3 bpg in the 4 games from the '67 EDF where blocks were listed in the recap.

I'll try to add the block numbers to this thread when I find more games.

I agree with advanced stats...especially when we just don't know many of the stats. Having said that, though, we do know that Russell (and Thurmond) generally reduced Wilt's efficiency and scoring, and we also know that both Wilt and Nate did the same to Kareem.

As far as blocks go, I would love to read more on ANY of the greats. Regarding Wilt's numbers, even in my limited research, there appears to be many games in which he blocked several shots over the course of a few minutes. And, I just have to believe that there were many games in which no one even attempted to record his (or Russell's) blocks. Still, they do make for a fascinating read.
jlauber is offline   Reply With Quote