View Single Post
Old 09-16-2010, 11:09 PM   #25
jlauber
3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: All-Defensiev teams 1955-1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gifted Mind
That would be nice. I think these award projections help in evaluating 2 players from different eras by putting their respective accomplishments into perspective. I mean, that is part of the reason why some old-timers are so underrated. The average fan likes to quickly look at a player like Jordan and think, oh he has 6 titles, 6 final MVPs, a DPOY, 9 All-Defensive 1st, etc. For Russell, all that is said is 11 titles. That's it. But when you realize that Russell should have 11 titles, at least 9 Final MVPs, 8 DPOYs (my count), and 13 All-Defensive Selections including 10 or 11 All-Defensive 1st, then you truly realize how great he has been. And it's not like we are just speculating all of this here, he truly would have received all of those awards if they existed and deserves them. Some fans think it's outlandish to have Russell as GOAT. But all they see is 11 titles. When they see 11 titles, 9 Final MVPs, 5 MVPs, 8 DPOYs, and 13 All-Defensive selections, I'm sure no one would considerate outlandish to have Russell as GOAT.

Excellent post. Russell's perception has always been a lack of offense. But, as G.O.A.T, Regul8r, and other's have pointed out, his offense was actually better than average for much of his career, and he would elevate it in the post-season.

Furthermore, Regul8r has posted some great statistical analysis' that confirms Russell's DEFENSIVE impact. He was the anchor of several of the best defensive teams (per 100 possessions) of all-time. And, we know that he routinely reduced Wilt's offensive numbers. In fact, I would sure like to know how he did against players like Bellamy, Reed, and Thurmond, too.

And, let's not forget about his rebounding, which was brilliant in the regular season, but an all-time best in the post-season.

IMHO, Russell's INDIVIDUAL defense was probably worth 5-10 ppg, depending on who he was guarding. And, his TEAM defense was probably worth anywhere from 5-10 ppg. All of that, coupled with his defensive rebounding, which limited opposing teams to one possession, and his relentless offensive rebounding, which gave his team extra possessions...with his better than average offense, and I think you can easily give him over 30 ppg...maybe even closer to 40.
jlauber is offline   Reply With Quote