Thread: Scoring Ability
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2010, 06:00 PM   #15
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Scoring Ability

Make sure you know where your spots are. Very few players at any level can score from anywhere. They just do a better job of getting to the spots they know they can be successful from.

Have a game plan. I played through college and was a scorer but not a shooter (I wasn't going to kill you all day with open j's, but I shot it well enough). It's very much like a football coach who has plays scripted. Think about how people guard you and work on setting them up. I knew which shots I hit a real high %, and made sure I got one of them early in a game to build confidence and give the defender something to think about. I also never used a head fake...until it was time for a must-have or closeout hoop. Defenders never had to pay attention to that move, so they forgot about it. Worked every time.

Becoming a good scorer is just as much a mentality as it is a skill set. Play one-on-none, just like we all did as kids. Think about how the game reacts around you when you do certain things. They always talked about Manning-Harrison practicing the "route tree"; all the routes came off of the same basic pattern. Develop variations off the things you already do well and you'll find more scoring opportunities finding you.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote