View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011, 10:16 PM   #35
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Default Re: Where Should I Live?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorKid117
Thanks for all the great replies, I really appreciate it. I guess to make things more clear, I'm applying for Teach for America so all I'm able to do is rank how highly I want to be placed in each region. I ultimately do not have the final decision. It is a 2 year committment then I'm able to continue living/working there or do as I please.

What I make depends on the region. San Fran I'll make ~40k and in areas with lower cost I'll make less. They adjust it pretty well though. I figure I will probably be rooming with some other teachers if I do indeed get the job just to save cost. So while cost of living is somewhat important, I won't let it deter me from a great area.

even taking roommates into consideration, it is damn tough to live off of $40k in san fran. It sucks and good teachers deserve to be paid more.

i know that in just about any asian country they will pay you a decent salary plus living expenses to teach English (so everything you make can go into the bank). you don't even have to know the native language. I know some people who have done it when they just didn't know what to do with their lives and they had a great time and experience. Also, they pay caucasians more then they pay asians.

damn whitey is holding us down everywhere!

Last edited by rezznor : 02-02-2011 at 10:20 PM.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote