View Single Post
Old 02-12-2011, 06:59 PM   #459
BRabbiT

Default Re: Jerry Sloan steps down, leaves Utah Jazz! Era is over!

Quote:
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) - An agitated Karl Malone says the Jerry Sloan he knows would never quit anything and suggested his longtime Utah Jazz coach just grew tired of garbage that came with the job and certain players.

''They changed the floor back to old school. They changed the uniform back to old school. Somebody tell the damn players to start playing like old school,'' Malone said before the Jazz hosted the Phoenix Suns on Friday night.

''It may work. They spent a lot of money on the rest, now how about you tell the players. I'm just calling it like I see it.''

''You're a professional, you don't need for me to break a film down for you. If you want to stop the guy you're playing, they pay you millions of dollars. You get you a TV and break the player down yourself.''

''If I got something to say or do to a man, I'm going to look that man in the eye and tell him what is going to happen. That's just me now.''

He also took issue with analysts declaring the game had passed by Sloan.

''It's like saying the game passed Phil Jackson by,'' Malone said. ''Old school worked. The players (have) got to buy into the system.''

Jazz president and CEO Randy Rigby downplayed Malone's comments.

''Karl is Karl. That's Karl,'' Rigby said after Utah's 95-83 loss to Phoenix. ''And he's right, Jerry isn't a quitter. But it was Jerry's decision and we're going to support that. But I can tell you he was not forced out by any of us.''

Asked if today's players have too much pull, Malone thought back to his own contentious battles with Sloan over the years.

''I remember (late team owner) Larry Miller in this locker room, right here when me and coach Sloan was butting heads after a game in front of everybody,'' Malone recalled.

BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote