Thread: Blu Ray thread!
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2011, 05:59 PM   #72
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Default Re: Blu Ray thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
For those that buy Blu Rays often... Have you ever considered installing a Blu Ray burner on your PC or Mac? It seems that this would be much more cost efficient, although the blank Blu Rays are still pretty expensive.

I've actually thought about getting one myself, but with my computer hooked into my TV, it makes more sense just to download the Blu Ray data and not have to worry about a physical disc.

What say you?

I did this for DVD's, I still have hundreds of them. I never, ever use them anymore.

For me there's a few cons:

[1] Blanks are expensive. If you want to enjoy the full benefits of modern BD's, 50 gig discs are a must, and those cost over $100 for a 50 disc bundle. Also, expect to write at no more than 4x's/

[2] Finding full BD's on torrent sites are very rare, and for older release? It's nearly impossible. The reason most people buy BD's and not DVD's are for the quality, and the overall package including the plethora of extras you get.

[3] Connecting directly to a TV is much more cost efficient, you sure said it. For the cost of one bundle, you can buy an external 2TB drive and store the data and watch it whenever you please.

These are the negatives for me personally, I'm not speaking for everyone.

Also, like I said earlier in this thread:

Quote:
I don't care either way. I like to buy them now because I like them being displayed. I get to watch all the extras on my big TV. Having them displayed is a great talking point and conversation starter, and you know what? It's fun collecting them.

Waiting for a new BD to be released, reading the reviews, ordering it online, waiting for the package to arrive, opening the package, watching it, then shelving it and displaying it is a very pleasurable experience for me. It's a fun process. It's something to do.

And I've been buying BD's of movies I've never seen. What better way to watch a movie you've never seen than on a big tv in the highest possible quality?

If you can afford it, why not? It's not like I'm buying a shit-load of them, either. 4-5 every month or so is plenty for me.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote