View Single Post
Old 05-18-2011, 01:35 PM   #32
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

KG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Should Cavs Pick Derrick Williams over Kyrie Irving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BeastlyXOIAD
How isn't he the best player in the class? Explain to me how.

I'd like to hear it.

Kyrie is good, but picking him over Derrick Williams will haunt the Cavs in the future. Quote me on that.

I didn't say he was the best player in the class. You haven't made an argument as to why Derrick Williams is the best player in the class, either.

I should have stated this last night when I was going after you. I think Derrick Williams has the most potential in the this draft class. I think his ceiling is higher than any other player and his ridiculous college stats are more than enough reason to take him no lower than 2nd.

I'd have to do some digging through old threads from the college basketball board but I was even saying things like, why wouldn't you take Derrick Williams #1 overall instead Kyrie Irving? Of course at that time we had no idea who was going to have the #1 pick.

Maybe it's because I don't see Derrick Williams as an NBA SF. I think he's a combo PF/SF, meaning I think he'd be better served logging most of his minutes at PF while playing about 5-7 minutes a night at SF. I don't know if this is a good comparison but I can see Derrick Williams as an Amare Stoudemire type player. Williams is 6'8" with elite athleticism and a very reliable perimeter jump-shot. I can see Derrick Williams being a stretch/face-up PF who strings together rim-rattling dunk after rim-rattling dunk while also hurting teams with 15-18 foot jumpers, a lot like Amare. I know that's probably not the best comparison but it's who comes to mind for me.

I just like the Cavs need and could use a PG more than Williams. I do think Irving has the tools and potential to be a borderline superstar PG. I don't think he's the next Chris Paul, Deron Williams, or any other elite/superstar NBA PG. I do think he can be a future all-star with a high ceiling. He might be Chris Paul-lite. Not as good as CP3 but, like Paul, he can do everything: shoot the three, shoot the mid-range jumper, penetrate, and distribute the basketball. His 11 game college career in college, though, does worry me along with the foot injury, although I don't think the foot injury is anything to be too concerned about.

Last edited by KG215 : 05-18-2011 at 01:40 PM.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote