Thread: coaching staff?
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2011, 10:48 PM   #16
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Default Re: coaching staff?

Adrian Dantley on Sunday confirmed a New York Post report that he has been let go. His contract, expiring at the end of this month, won’t be renewed for next season. "Oh, yeah, I’m done,’’ Dantley said. "(Nuggets coach George Karl) fired me Friday.’’ denverstiffs.com

Messages left Sunday for Karl and Nuggets executive vice president of basketball operations Masai Ujiri were not immediately returned. "I got fired because I didn’t rotate on the bench,’’ said Dantley, who was regarded as Karl’s lead assistant and filled in for Karl for the final 1 ˝ months of the 2009-10 season when the head man was battling a form of throat cancer. denverstiffs.com

Dantley would not single out any specific assistants. The New York Post reported "one or lower-level assistants’’ suggested the rotation to Karl. "This had to do with a whole lot of backstabbing,’’ Dantley said. "I got fired because I wouldn’t rotate. And people felt uncomfortable (about that).’’ denverstiffs.com

"I didn’t rotate,’’ said Dantley, an NBA star forward from 1976-2001 who was named in 2008 to the Hall of Fame. "I wasn’t going to rotate. If they (other assistants) want the publicity to sit up front, I don’t need the publicity… I got no problem not being seen on TV and sitting at the back of the bench.’’ denverstiffs.com

He was asked if he was disappointed about the timing of Karl’s decision, which came the day after the draft (Dantley had been helping work out prospects) and a week before the NBA is expected to go on what could be a long lockout. "What upset me is the loyalty you show to someone and you get screwed,’’ Dantley said. denverstiffs.com
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote