View Single Post
Old 07-06-2011, 12:23 AM   #14
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Default Re: Boston Celtics need help at center

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoo's Daddy
Hooward to the celtics seems to be getting some legs..
these nene, howard, etc pipe dreams are ridiculous. Even presuming the MLE or similar cap exception, there is no way they can go after a top tier center in free agency.
even dudes like deandre jordan, greg oden and sammy d will be out of their range

Thankfully, they are in luck, because this year's free agent crop is very heavy at center and there are a bevy of 2nd and 3rd tier centers that will be available within the celtics price range.

Quote:
2nd tier or young with potential
Vanilla Gorilla
hayes
Kurt Thomas
Kwame Brown

fesenko
hawes
haddadi

Quote:
3rd tier or what you see is what you get
jeff the man foster!
ratliff
gadzuric
Etan thomas
elson
aaron gray
Ely
Mbenga

Quote:
There are even a good batch of pf/c types
humphries
landry
Wilcox

powe
Jared Jeffries
craig smith
McBob
Songalia

I have bolded the ones that I think are somewhat realistic good options for the celts for next year and somewhat beyond. They clearly arent going to get a home run in free agency, but considering how much they threw at J Oneal last year, there are at least 10 guys in those lists I consider a better fit. and probably a better player.

Seems odd they gave up their only good young center for a guy who plays the same position as their franchise star. and then traded any young bigs they had for future considerations (not that those dudes were the answer). But, I do think they can plug the gap pretty decently in free agency.
boozehound is online now   Reply With Quote