View Single Post
Old 07-06-2011, 04:46 PM   #789
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
It's absurd how little I paid attention when I watched the show. I'm re-watching the whole series now and realized I missed entire scenes.

And when you're watching you notice the huge liberties they take. Only two small things have bothered me so far, one: there's a heavy portion of dreams that are described in the book, and they're very interesting to me, yet so far there has been almost none of that in the show. It's a very small aspect and you kind of know they're doing that to save time and cram as much into one episode as they can. I mean each episode is like 100 pages of the book, so whatever.

The other thing is more specific: the way they portray Jon in the show compared to in the book. The exchange between him and Ser Alliser Thorne in the kitchen while Thorne is bad-mouthing Ned about his "treason" was much more violent in the book than the show and the book shows how strong Jon is at such a young age. The scene in the show is just...I don't know, kind of pathetic.

Also, in the book Jon battles the undead guy mostly in the dark while the show It's in front of a fire. Again, the book shows how skilled and strong he is at such a young age and the show is holding back. I don't understand that at all.

Very minor details that don't really matter. I'm probably the only one who was even slightly bothered by it.

Yeah, the dream sequences in the book were very vivid and interesting and I'm disappointed now that they didn't include them in the show. The dream Bran had while in the coma about the crow and seeing all the events of Westeros from the sky would've been a great addition. Wouldn't have taken too much camera time either and it could've helped build suspense about the going-ons beyond the wall. Ned's dreams about Lyanna would've been great to see as well, Jon's nightmares about the crypt too.

Kind of surprised they didn't include them since some of the creative team worked on the Sopranos as well, and the dream sequences were a big part of character/plot development and added an interesting dimension to the show.

Almost done with the first book, jumping into the second soon. Ordered 'A Dance With Dragons' on Amazon.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote