View Single Post
Old 03-06-2007, 01:51 AM   #6
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Best War Films of All-Time

"Somebody once wrote, 'Hell is the impossibility of reason.' That's what this place feels like: hell. I hate it already and it's only been a week. Some goddamn week, Grandma. The hardest thing I think I've ever done is go on point, three time this week. A gook could be standing three feet in front of me and I wouldn't know it. I'm so tired. We get up at 5 a.m., hump all day, camp around 4 or 5, dig a foxhole, eat, then send out an ambush or three man listening post in the jungle. It's scary because nobody tells me how to do anything, 'cause I'm new. Nobody cares about the new guys. They don't even want to know your name. The unwritten rule is a new guy's life isn't worth as much because he hasn't put his time in yet; and they say, if you're gonna get killed in the 'Nam, it's better to get it in the first few weeks. The logic being, you don't suffer that much. If you're lucky you get to stay in the perimeter at night, and then you pull a three-hour guard shift, so maybe you sleep three-four hours a night. But you don't really sleep.

I don't think I can keep this up for a year, Grandma. I think I made a big mistake coming here."

"Maybe I've finally found it, way down here in the mud. Maybe from down here I can start up again, be something I can be proud of, without having to fake it; be a fake human being. Maybe I can see something I don't yet see, or learn something I don't yet know."

"Of course Mom and Dad didn't want me to come here. They wanted me to be just like them; respectable, hardworking, a little house, a family. They drove me crazy with their goddamn world, Grandma. You know Mom. I guess I've always been sheltered and special; I just want to be anonymous, like everybody else; do my share for my country. Live up to what Grandpa did in the first war, and Dad did in the second.

Well, here I am, anonymous all right, with guys nobody really cares about. They come from the end of the line, most of 'em; small towns you never head of. Pulaski, Tennessee. Brandon, Mississippi. Pork Van, Utah. Wampum, Pennsylvania. Two years' high school's about it; maybe if they're lucky a job waiting for them back in a factory. But most of 'em got nothing. They're the poor, they're the unwanted, yet they're fighting for our society, and our freedom. It's weird, isn't it? They're the bottom of the barrel, and they know it. I guess that's why they call themselves grunts, because a grunt can take it, it can take anything. They're the best I've ever seen, Grandma. The heart and soul."

"Day by day, I struggle not only to maintain my strength, but my sanity. It's all a blur. I have no energy to write. I don't know what's right and what's wrong anymore. The morale of the men is low; a civil war in the platoon, half the men with Elias, half with Barnes. There's a lot of suspicion and hate. I can't believe we're fighting each other, when we should be fighting them. Counting days, and the six inches in front of my face, and not much else. Hope things are well, Grandma. Tell Mom and Dad, well...just tell them. Chris."

"I think now, looking back, we did not fight the enemy, we fought ourselves; and the enemy was in us. The war is over for me now, but it will always be there, for the rest of my days, as I'm sure Elias will be, fighting with Barnes for what Rhah called 'possession of my soul.' There are times since I have felt like a child, born of those two fathers. But be that as it may, those of us who did make it have an obligation to build again, to teach to others what we know, and to try with the rest of our lives, to find a goodness and meaning to this life."

Gives me chills every time.

And that's not even including Barnes' bunker scene. "Y'all talkin' 'bout killin'?"

Last edited by johndeeregreen : 03-06-2007 at 01:53 AM.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote