View Single Post
Old 07-20-2011, 11:53 AM   #23
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Handling the ball?

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic14
I think its just game experience. When I got cut from my high school team freshman year, I practiced 2-3 hours every day until my school's summer basketball program. However, I didn't get to play any games because my outside team ended in eigth grade, so when I played my first 5 games or so I was always in a rush to get rid of the ball and always threw it away, but in the most recent tournament I calmed down a bit and did a lot better.
I think that's a good point and often overlooked by youngsters. Practicing ballhandling on your own is always a great idea, just like working on your shot. However, I do not believe isolated practice will always translate over into games. There are countless factors that occur in games that cannot be accounted for in dribbling or shooting drills. Therefore game experience, as you mentioned, should not be underrated.

Sometimes it's just a matter of failing, figuring out why you failed, then making the proper adjustments to make sure it doesn't happen again. At that point, you will be hopeful that the ballhandling skills you've worked on will allow you to make the adjustments needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bballer360
Yo guys my dribbling is terrible I can't get control of the ball it bounces to high it bounces to my body them I carry I can't get good control with my hand on the ball can y'all give me some tips all help is appreciated thanks
It sounds as if you may really benefit from "pounding" drills. Of course, any ballhandling practice should be beneficiary, but for those who cannot seem to control it on the regular bounce (it's a more common problem than we think) pounding is a good place to start.

Just like I warm up my body with layups, stretching, and jumpshots, I like to warm up my ballhandling before games by pounding the rock in my hand. This means I push it to the floor as hard as I can. If we think about it, what's going to be easier to defend - someone who dribbles in slow motion or someone who dribbles with emphasis and a purpose? Learning to really pound the rock will train your hands and your body to prepare for a decisive dribble. Over time, your hands and your mind will be able to bounce the ball down and back up without an issue.

The idea is, in a game situation, you probably won't be pounding the rock every trip down the court. However, since your hands will be used to dribbling very hard, handling a regular dribble shouldn't be an issue. Just remember, the harder and lower you dribble, the nastier your results are going to be (in a good way).

Last edited by Rake2204 : 08-09-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote