View Single Post
Old 08-03-2011, 09:13 AM   #11
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star

ShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Kareem Abdul Jabbar: 1976-1977 season

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.O.A.T
I hope you don't leave here. I just left the other site we meet up on for good so this is the only place I'll find you now.

No matter where you go you have to sift through the rubble, but you won't find a thread like this there. Great work Shaqattack consolidating all of these resources into one.

It would be interesting to see what would have happened if this core had stayed healthy and/or if Jerry West and the Lakers had not overreacted and made such drastic moves the next two years disrupting any stability the Lakers had.

There was plenty of talent on the '78 and '79 teams, I just don't think the pieces fit together.

I recently watched game four on Hardwood Classics, maybe two or three weeks back. It was a complete struggle for the Lakers to even get Jabbar the ball, but once he did, the Blazers didn't double much, they knew Kareem himself could not beat them in that series.

I think with the level that Kareem was playing at, they needed just a rebounder(healthy Kermit Washington would have helped) and a second scorer to take pressure off of Kareem(preferably a competent scorer/playmaker)

Having to average 35 ppg and 18 rpg in the playoffs is just too much, One man can't win an NBA title and with Washington out, Kareem having to average 30+ and rebound like that vs a frontline that had Walton and Maurice Lucas is asking too much, imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal9
Pace the team played at was only 103.6 in the playoffs. Very comparable to the league-wide regular season pace in the late 80s/early 90s (ranged from 98-101).

And TRB% accounts for that. 21.6% is really good, it's pretty much what Dwight Howard has been at. Granted, it may be inflated due to a lack of rebounding help, but the same can be said for Howard's numbers, and that if anything shows how much Kareem had to do.

TRB% that season was an impressive 18.4%, right around '00/'01 Shaq's level.

As far as pace, '08 Nuggets were at 99.7 and '10 Warriors were 100.4. And Kareem's scoring wouldn't be inflated much if at all, if we're talking about this sort of difference in pace because the Lakers fastbreak baskets weren't going to Kareem, in fact, a lot of them from what I've seen in '77 were simply ill-advised jumpers before he even got up court.
ShaqAttack3234 is offline   Reply With Quote