View Single Post
Old 08-04-2011, 01:24 AM   #8
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: NBA 2k12 Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. I'm So Rad
Yeah I think they are trying to milk this whole "legend" thing. I felt they tried to do that to an extent with 2k11, just trying to sell the game because Jordan was in it. Personally, I don't give a f*ck if legends are in the game or not. Jordan Challenges, MJ: Become A Legend. I don't care about any of that. I just want good presentation (which we always get with 2k) but more importantly, good gameplay.

2k11 is much better than 2k10, but there are still LOTS of problems that go unaddressed each year. The online is still horrible, the translation of difficulty is still bad, there is still ball morphing, and other glitches in the game. I wish they would really fix some of these issues.
I would surely agree that 2K11 could use gameplay improvements. But to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure which sports game has ever not needed them. Through the years, they have earned my trust. There was a time where it seemed to be a bowl of mystery as to how 2K would transition from one year to another (thinking of the shift from a simulation 2K3 to an arcade "ball with vapor trail" ESPN NBA Basketball 2004). But for the most part, on the next generation of systems, I have always been satisfied with each new edition. I felt 2K11 was their best to date.

Also, I respect that you personally don't care if legends are in the game. However, there are a lot of folks who do. I do not find the addition of classic teams to be something that can be milked. Rather, I feel they are completely legitimate additions that all sports games should include. 2K11's classic teams may have honestly doubled the game's replay value for me. I love the current NBA, but man, it's a totally awesome experience to use teams like the '96 Sonics and '90 Pistons. And the Jordan Challenge itself was one of the best video game experiences I've had.

So it is my feeling that classic teams and their challenges are not gimmicky, but instead help turn an awesome NBA game into a potentially legendary one. I don't think such a feature is simply a way to draw in consumers. Instead, I think it's a necessary and satisfying progression in basketball video gaming. As people have said, gameplay people work on gameplay all year. They don't have a lot to do with these legendary additions.
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote