View Single Post
Old 09-07-2011, 06:57 AM   #43
Euroleague
I Feel Devotion

Default Re: EuroBasket 2011: Group E (Spain, Turkey, Lithuania, France, Serbia, Germany)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax
this current lithuanian NT is still a mystery to me - so far our veteran guards are hitting their shots and helping us to prevail, but I'm not sure how long this hot shooting is gonna last. And if it stops, we are screwed against any team in this group. Our bigs, apart from Valanciunas, can't be difference makers and are just role players at best. Our defense is stil as miserable as ever. I'll wait for the Serbia game to make any profound predictions

Well, you have Lavrinovic, Saras, Valanciunas (too young physically for heavy centers), even at this age Kaukenas also (gotten slow laterally), that are not able to guard much.

Jankunas, Jasaitis, Songaila...........it's not exactly scaring teams with their defense either.

Not having someone like Maciulis is really bad for them. Kalnietis, Pocius, Maciulis, ....., Javtokas can give a pretty good defense lineup. Throw Kleiza in there (not great at D, but very good at rebounding) and it is much different from,

Jasikevicius, Kaukenas, Jasaitis, Songaila, Valanciunas type lineups. Although as you say, the guards are obviously going to be much better shooters.

If this was like 3 years ago, I think Saras and Kaukenas could really work with this team, but now, especially for Saras this is tough. I mean, Saras is used to basically playing about 10 minutes a game the last few years.

One thing I really see is that Lithuania desperately needs to develop a good natural point guard that can shoot. It seems like that is missing from their team every time.
Euroleague is offline   Reply With Quote