View Single Post
Old 10-15-2011, 02:13 PM   #33
Clippersfan86
Banned

Default Re: Batman Arkham City: "One of the best games ever made" 10/10 score

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmic †hesis
It depends.
If you have two games with a similar game-play & lasting appeal; then having better graphics, sound and presentation certainly distinguishes one from another.

I mean Uncharted 2's graphics & sound is phenomenal; but I wouldn't like it as much as I do if it wasn't for its dialogue, characterization and overall gameplay. However, I can rather easily say that its graphics, sound and presentation puts it above many other games who have comparable game-play.

So yeah it does matter, despite them being secondary indicators.
I don't understand why you don't appreciate those features. I mean they basically make the experience that much more gratifying. I'm sorry but if Uncharted didn't have evolutionary graphics then that would totally affect its gameplay and lasting appeal. I think sound, graphics & presentation are integral parts of gameplay.

Saying they don't matter is like saying "It doesn't matter if we surf in Hawaii or Lake Ontario." Both will give you an andrenaline rush...

I'm sure that impression wouldn't last though, when you remove a used condom from your mouth while surfing in Lake Ontario.

Well that may be why you're a fan of Uncharted. Think about it man. If Graphics, sound and presentation are so vital why do diehard gamers still go back to older consoles and play Mario or Zelda? It's not for the nostalgia alone. There is a reason. Now everyone is so caught up on appearance, presentation and other surface level things and the quality of gameplay has declined. I think these things are FAR more important to casual gamers than someone like me who has been playing video games for 20+ years on a regular basis. I've owned every system since Nintendo.

Not saying you haven't because for all I know you're a diehard gamer too. I'm not even saying if you like Uncharted more, you aren't the same level of gamer as me etc, even if it seems that way. It's just sad how the gaming world has changed so much. Now all people care about is multiplayer, online related gaming and graphics. What about an epic story? What about memorable characters?

I just think the most logical explanation I can give you for the score inconsistencies from IGN is related to intangibles. For example.... they said 2K12 is better than 2K11 in every single way.... yet both got a 9.5 from IGN? See what I mean?

Last edited by Clippersfan86 : 10-15-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Clippersfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote