View Single Post
Old 03-15-2012, 10:21 AM   #43
liquidrage
Banned

liquidrage has decent reputationliquidrage has decent reputation
Default Re: 2012 NCAA Tournament Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
I've been noticing Florida State as a trendy Elite Eight or Final Four pick and I'm hesitant to buy into it. I think too much is being made of their ACC tournament wins over Duke and North Carolina.

1.) In two of their final three regular season games Florida State lost on the road to Miami by 16 despite Miami not having Reggie Johnson. They also lost at home to Duke by 8.

2.) Forget the Duke and North Carolina wins. Miami didn't have their leading scorer and maybe their best player in Durand Scott when Florida State beat them in the first round of the ACC tournament. Then they go on and beat Duke by three and Duke did not have Ryan Kelly. I don't know where Kelly falls in the pecking order for Duke, but there's been games I've watched this year where he's been their best or second best player. It just depends on if he's hitting the three ball or not. And of course they only beat UNC (who obviously didn't have John Henson) by three despite shooting nearly 60% from the field. It's no secret the kind of impact John Henson has on a game, especially on defense. He's the only player in the country on the same level as Anthony Davis in terms of how much he effects a game defensively.

Don't get me wrong, Florida State is talented. And not only are they talented but their rotation is mostly upperclassmen with postseason experience. They already defend well enough to be a Final Four team. I just don't know if they can consistently score the ball well enough to make an Elite Eight or Final Four run.

Part of it is the easy road.

Bonnies and Cincy aren't that hard of a matchup. Then a toss up game with Ohio St where FSU has the bigs and perimeter D to match up with OSU. And then a Melo-less Cuse team.

Every team has some bad losses except Kentucky and Cuse really. And Cuse isn't the same team it was this time last week because their inside D just took a huge hit.

And while your point about FSU isn't wrong per say IMO, FSU's also won 15 of their last 18 and that includes 8 of those games being against teams in the Tourney. And they went 7-1 in those last 8 against Tourney teams. That's a pretty solid record right there. They started off the year bad and since them have played like a Top 10 team easily.

And I also say you're underrating Snaer as a go to guy. And that they had already beaten Duke and UNC when both can be said to be healthy.

Last edited by liquidrage : 03-15-2012 at 10:25 AM.
liquidrage is offline   Reply With Quote