View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #27
lespauldude
Can barely lace up my sneakers

lespauldude has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: whenever I play ball my knees hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiarip
First of all make sure your shoes are ok.

If you playing on concrete and getting shin splints it is quite standard. You want to stretch and warm up before you start playing, and honestly I think you want to just keep on trucking. One thing to take note of as has been said by other people is that you have to watch out for your knees.

You don't want to jump as hard. If you have very fast-twitch fibers you may very well have more vertical on a very hard concrete floor then you have on wood, but this doesn't mean that your joints, shins, and knees are ready for you to use this explosiveness. Almost no one tears muscles as a result of explosive athletic activity, it is always the joints that suffer, so you need to strengthen those.

Shin splints in particular though aren't an issue of joints it's an issue of how fast you stop, and change direction, so you want to stretch your ankle, and you want to practice quality running, and strengthen your front calves.

I've recovered from shin splints that lasted several months a few years ago. I've tried many things among which are new shoes, higher arched soles, and stretching. I have to say I couldn't tell if they made any difference because it was only after I forced myself to rest and recover properly when the shin splints went away.

What I recommend is to stop playing basketball for 2 weeks minimum. Spend every day doing some light walking and jogging until you start feeling pain. When I started out, I was amazed to find out it only took me about 5 minutes for my shins to start heating up. But as the days went by I could jog farther and start running again. By the time the 2 weeks were over, I could play pickup an hour or two-hours at a time without any problems.

The key thing to remember is that you should stop whatever physical activity you're doing the moment you feel pain. It's similar when you lift weights. If you feel pain WHILE you're lifting, stop. If you feel sore AFTER, that's good. In this sense, I think it's true when they say listen to your body.

Last edited by lespauldude : 03-18-2012 at 05:20 PM.
lespauldude is offline   Reply With Quote