View Single Post
Old 04-08-2007, 10:40 PM   #10
Jabes
Banned

Jabes has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Imagining the Tenth Dimension

Quote:
Originally Posted by -primetime-
well it if was excepted it wouldn't be called string "THEORY" now would it?

string theory has been around for a long time and debated amounst many of the world's greatest scientists...
Do not confuse the common definition of the word 'theory' with that used in science. Ever heard of the theory of gravity? Would you claim that is just a "theory"? Now I'm not saying string theory is as solid as gravity, it isn't since it's lacking empirical evidence, but there is a formal mathematical model for it which is consistent within the current laws of physics.

The whole point I'm trying to make, that you seem to not understand, is that the author of that book is not a physicist, let alone a string theorist. Hell he's not even a scientist, he's a composer/writer who apparently has an outside interest in science and has come up with his own ideas, but has not given any validity for them. Some string theorists claim that their can be no less than 23 dimensions, yet according to this guy there can be no more than 10.

If you're going to put blind faith in what you read about science, at least read the works of an accredited expert in the field, not just any guy that has a website. Better yet, actually study the subject matter, that way you won't have to take anybody's word for it.

Either way, I'm not going to debate this matter any further with someone who has shown to have very little understanding of the basic principles of science.

Last edited by Jabes : 04-08-2007 at 11:17 PM.
Jabes is offline   Reply With Quote