View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
Salazaar
In Hansen we trust!

Default Re: Judge my shooting form

First of all I'd like to thank you for such an extensive analysis, I really appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
2) The ball seems to rest behind your head prior to release: As opposed to the ball being in front of your body prior to release, the rock seems to become locked and loaded above and behind your body.

I know, I've been trying to work on it but even if I try very hard the ball still ends up being very close to my face, and I don't know how to correct it without forcing anything and shooting in an unnatural motion

Quote:
3) Your shot seems to operate in different segments: By this I mean, the first part of your shot seems to be bending the knees and locking the ball behind your head, while the second part of the shot seems to be the forward arm motion and slight elevation.

Typically, a shooter is most effective when their shot is a part of a singular shooting motion, not one process leading to another. It is my feeling that your current shooting motion is creating a relatively slow shooting process as a result. Further, it seems the catapult motion is where you are tapping into your shooting power, as opposed to your legs.

100% agree. I've got to work to incorporate my knees into the shot and try to shoot it faster (without being careless ofc)

Quote:
You mention you'd like your release even higher, but I'm not sure I'd suggest that. If you're having issues with being blocked, it is my belief that may be stemming from your elongated motion as opposed to your release point. The ball sort of chills on a pedestal for a moment.

Several people have told me to try to raise the shooting pocket a little bit, and I observe that (without a few exceptions like Dirk) most shooters have it well above their heads...

Quote:
My solution would be to begin incorporating your legs into your shot in conjunction with bringing your release closer to the front of your body. I'd want to work on one fluid motion:

1. Body low, knees bent, waiting for pass with both hands up, squared up
2. Catch pass, ensure squared position to basket
3. Jump, release, follow through - everything goes up and through at once

Looking at your shot once more, if I had to make a real life comparison, it sort of looks like you're trying to cast a fishing line. And I understand that, because I had/have some of that in my shot as well. But it just seems at this point it's more of a rear back, swing ,and toss than it is rise and shoot.

True, true, very good remark, I haven't thought about it that way but now that I do you're absolutely right.

On the other side, there are so many great NBA shooters with weird shooting form (Dirk, Nash, Bird, Fisher etc) that I don't know if forcing anything would be beneficial to my FG%

Again thanks a lot for the analysis, it was very valuable to me

Last edited by Salazaar : 03-28-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Salazaar is offline   Reply With Quote