View Single Post
Old 06-16-2012, 02:01 PM   #54
JellyBean
College superstar

Default Re: Basketball coaching discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesnowman22
You must do drills, but I quit the 3 man weave because all it does is teach passing on the move, which is a no-no.

Our first 45 minutes are always fundamentals- ballhandling, shooting, jump stops, zig zag, pass thru the defense, free throws, sprints, water break. Every day. After they do this every practice, they get sick of it, but they become much better ballhandlers and develop habits, which is what you need to be doing.

I scream "jump stop" and "dont pass on the move" all the time, but I also practiced it daily. Saying it helps, but actually doing it helps more.

Also do Shell drill every day, and other drills like setting screens, boxing out, out of bounds plays, 5 on none offense, deny the wing, etc. Do a lot more half court stuff than fullcourt, tho as the season goes along I do more.

Interesting take on the 3-man weave. I coach JV girls and the weave has been a staple in my practice plans for three years now. I think that with the weave, when properly completed, is a thing of beauty and helps to teach where/how to operate on the fastbreak. And yes, I did try the 5- man weave...once! That was my first year of coaching what a hot mess.

I do use the ball handle method of 15-20 mins everyday working the handles. I always stress at the end of the season what skills players need to work on and ball handling is tops. And as you know, only a few come back the next year with improved handles.

Last weekend we had a short skills intro where we worked on post and perimeter drills to help improve footwork; up and under, jab series, and swing series.
JellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote