View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012, 09:59 PM   #10997
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

ukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rose

The Fountain - 7/10. I think my rating for this will be a lot higher after a reviewing, or a few for that matter. I've never seen a film like this before, it's something completely different from conventional and even unconventional movie making. I feel like I didn't truly appreciate the film either because of thinking and trying to figure out what was going on most of the time. The ending kind of led me to an interpretation that would allow me to enjoy this another time.

Putting my interpretation in white text to avoid spoilers:

The past is merely the book that the wife has been writing, not actually being real characters. The present and future are in fact real. She really dies, and after she does, his experimentation leads him to find a real cure for disease and aging and he lives forever, into the future. He then tries to "meet up with her" in the future. He also finishes the last chapter of the book for her by taking the sap from the tree but living forever in a different form, accepting mortality in a way. His obsession with living takes over him during and after her death and in the end, he comes to peace with death and subsequently, life as they are two sides of the same coin and very dynamic.

yes that is whats going on, but obviously there is more to say with regards to how everything fits together. the future is a possible ending that in a way no longer exists by the end of the film because he finshes the story by making himself the first father and creator. ofcourse this alos means he reaches the same understanding izzi was trying to impart on him- of myan culture in which death is an act of creation meaning he shouldnt seek the cure for aging from the tree. symbolised in the time he doesnt go out in the first snow with her/and therefore looses the ring(like many things reversed in the ending).
if that isnt too muddled.
anyway, the film is such a rich complex masterpiece, of course rewatch at your leisure.
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote