View Single Post
Old 08-03-2012, 03:02 AM   #25
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: So, will Kentucky dominate college ball for the foreseeable future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgz V2
in addition to this a lot of student athletes (at least at the top tier schools) are not allowed to miss class, while their colleagues are afforded the discretion by their professors to go to class when they see fit.

I'm not advocating them skipping class at all, rather, it's just more evidence of the mixed message that the NCAA sends its student-athletes

if these athletes want to make a smoother transition to the NBA, get rid of all these rules and if they make poor decisions then so be it, let them learn the hard way like anyone else

as for paying them, i definitely would endorse an idea like that, these schools make ridiculous sums of money from their athletic programs and it could even be an incentive for players to stay. Why tell a guy he's not old enough to go to the NBA, but he can join the army and kill people, i dont get it
To be clear, I don't want the NCAA, a conference, or a specific school to compensate them. I want to entirely divorce amateur basketball from college athletics. Go the baseball route, kid wants to enter the draft straight outta HS? Cool, here's your contract offer. He wants to go to college. You're there at least 3 years.

The bastardization of post secondary education in lieu of athletics should seriously gross people out. Kids are enrolled in a lot of the schools we attended strictly because they're good ball players. Cite all the bullshit GPA stats you want, these kids are not at college to learn. THAT IS WHY COLLEGE EXISTS, NOT TO HAVE A GOOD BASKETBALL TEAM. They're already majoring in basketball. Make it real, make it a real job. I want these kids to make money off their talent but more than anything I want them to stop making a joke out of college.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote