View Single Post
Old 08-03-2012, 05:04 AM   #26
Burgz V2
Decent college freshman

Burgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: So, will Kentucky dominate college ball for the foreseeable future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
To be clear, I don't want the NCAA, a conference, or a specific school to compensate them. I want to entirely divorce amateur basketball from college athletics. Go the baseball route, kid wants to enter the draft straight outta HS? Cool, here's your contract offer. He wants to go to college. You're there at least 3 years.

The bastardization of post secondary education in lieu of athletics should seriously gross people out. Kids are enrolled in a lot of the schools we attended strictly because they're good ball players. Cite all the bullshit GPA stats you want, these kids are not at college to learn. THAT IS WHY COLLEGE EXISTS, NOT TO HAVE A GOOD BASKETBALL TEAM. They're already majoring in basketball. Make it real, make it a real job. I want these kids to make money off their talent but more than anything I want them to stop making a joke out of college.

very admirable, but man, do realize how impossible that seems? these amateur teams are hardly amateur anyways, everywhere you look there is a team sponsored by nike, a tournament by adidas etc. etc. These sponsorships have taken over the AAU circuit and the AAU circuit has taken the place of old fashioned college recruiting.

in terms of just basketball, the AAU game has begun to create a generation of players that only knows how to play when the ball is in their hands and i'm not particularly fond of that either

i've always been lukewarm to the baseball system, however, i agree it works in allowing players to see what they can make now and make an educated decision as to whether to sign or go to college. However, i think the existence of a proper farm system in baseball helps this though; a place where they can play and still get paid and realistically still have a shot of being a good player in the majors. Until that happens I think we are stuck with the same old system, possibly intensified.

the reasoning behind paying them make sense, sure, but i think it's a slippery slope. how would you differ how much players at Michigan St. make and say a school like Western Kentucky? I'm at a loss for ideas on that one.

btw, Purdue looking like contenders as early as 2013. If Hammons comes in in-shape they could possibly make some noise in the conference this year, last year was unfortunate with all the distractions

Last edited by Burgz V2 : 08-03-2012 at 05:10 AM.
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote