View Single Post
Old 08-07-2012, 11:05 AM   #233
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: the ultimate ish otc funk/soul/jazz thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
I'm particular a fan of songs featuring prominent piano and perhaps, trumpet.

Given this description I would say a good starting point is Herbie Hancock's earlier stuff. Empyrian Isles or Maiden Voyage would be good records to first get into. Those are some of the greatest jazz records ever, featuring a pianist leader (actually not that common in jazz), a fantastic rhythm section and Freddie Hubbard on trumpet.

If you are looking for something slightly more traditional, I would reccommend you to look into some of Thelonious Monk's earlier work such as Brilliant Corners and Monk's Music.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote