View Single Post
Old 08-07-2012, 10:39 AM   #234
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: the ultimate ish otc funk/soul/jazz thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
Given this description I would say a good starting point is Herbie Hancock's earlier stuff. Empyrian Isles or Maiden Voyage would be good records to first get into. Those are some of the greatest jazz records ever, featuring a pianist leader (actually not that common in jazz), a fantastic rhythm section and Freddie Hubbard on trumpet.

If you are looking for something slightly more traditional, I would reccommend you to look into some of Thelonious Monk's earlier work such as Brilliant Corners and Monk's Music.
Awesome. That all sounds right down my alley. Much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Grant Green is a jazz guitarist that I like a lot. He has a smooth, low-key sound. Freddie Hubbard is usually who I listen to when I want to listen to hard bop/bebop.

Also, listen to Christian Scott asap. He is the best modern jazz artist I've heard. Angola, LA & the 13th Amendment might be my favorite jazz song ever.
Thanks for this too. I'm not sure how I feel about jazz guitar yet but I'm willing to give it a shot.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote