View Single Post
Old 08-12-2012, 11:20 PM   #453
Alan Shore
I airball my layups

Default Re: Carmelo Anthony Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchize
All I know is, the guy most credit for being the "leader" is Tyson Chandler. Everyone says he is such a great leader and changed the culture and Melo is the exact opposite. Meanwhile, Melo played the entire year with a pulled groin, had knee surgery in the offseason, had pulled ligaments in his wrist, rehabbed after every practice, was the reason Linsanity had a chance to take place, carried us with an extraordinary April, battled neck and neck with the best player in the league all while not being 100% healthy and not having a consistenly competent PG all year. Meanwhile, said leader was non-existent in the playoffs because he had the flu. Look at the Olympics. One guy had big game after big game. One guy stayed in foul trouble and got an untimely tech in a gold medal game. It's about time we all start asking ourselves how much of the criticism we give out is warranted and how much is because the media told us so.

you make some valid and points. fact is tyson has a temper that can get him in trouble. he played sick in, what was it, two games? being sick is playing as though you have an injury, not the same as "playing hurt." only guy i know who was effective was jordan's "double nickel" game but that is jordan for you. the man was a force of nature.

as far as tempers and techs garnett is the same way as ty. you hate garnett because he's a celtic but if he wore the orange and blue all of a sudden he's praised for having that competitive spirit. both guys give their all on the uphill end of the court so they will earn respect no matter what. but playing hard on the uphill end of the court earns you leadership props and besides tyson has the ring to back it up. so does the big ticket. they both did it with defense. and guess what so did lebron and duncan and jordan and lets add my man mr. frazier.

yes melo played hurt, but as the saying goes "if you can play hurt then play and there are no excuses." that said i don't think anybody should play with a groin pull. too risky and they are slow to recover just like hamstrings. the wrist thing is tough because melo's jumper is so smooth and the form perfect that any little injury is tough on accuracy. when healthy his jumper is real real pretty. that said if he is going to play he has to find a way to impact the game in other ways.

chandler is the heart and soul of the knicks but that doesn't mean that melo is the "exact opposite." it just means that melo has to do sincere work on the uphill end of the court every night in order to create synergy and garner the sincere respect of his teammates. he is a good scorer, maybe the best, but he doesn't make others better on offense. that doesn't help his resume-- playing all out on defense will help his resume.
Alan Shore is offline   Reply With Quote