View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012, 09:09 AM   #32
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Free throw routine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilojmayo
You can practice handles anywhere. But shooting, i'd recommend an indoor gym where you can make sure that the rims are straight, regulation 10 ft. Alot of park rims are double rim where you don't get soft rolls, or bent, or not regulation.

As a shooter, you want to see the ball go in the hoop
I actually may differ from your opinion in at least one regard, but I think it's all a matter of personal preference, so it won't be a situation where I think I'm right and you're wrong.

Anyway, I happen to think working on one's jumpshot on an outdoor hoop can actually be very beneficial and my reasoning is actually quite contrary to your own. I happen to feel many indoor rims can be too soft and provide a false sense of success. At the school I coach at, their rims in particular seem to be inviting to all sorts of favorable rolls and bounces. I've watched players step in and connect on consecutive shots that hit every part of the iron before falling and they'll think, "Man, yeah, I must be feeling it tonight."

Granted, I never object to indoor shooting. The more the merrier. I just feel shooting outside, on a regulation rim, on a windless day, can work to perfect one's stroke. As you mentioned, the double rims will most often not accept shots that aren't pretty much right on the money. I think that's a good thing. As shooters, we want to perfect our shots. When practicing, I feel like our goal shouldn't be just barely making the shot, but drilling it, hitting nothing but twine. And again, I feel outdoor hoops can point us in the right direction.

Of course, if someone's struggling with severe confidence issues when it comes to shooting then yeah, perhaps I'd suggest for them to keep in mind that an outdoor hoop will not provide bounces. But in my case, shooting outside (again, on a hoop at or close to regulation, on a non-windy day) has always had a positive effect on my indoor jumper. In most cases, I'll have to fire a couple of shots just to re-adjust to being indoors but thereafter, everything's feeling smooth and particularly accurate, as I've conditioned myself to perfect my shot, not settling for hitting iron. Then, on the times I do hit rim, and it still goes in, it feels like a bonus.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 08-20-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote