View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Third-Person Action/Adventure/Shooters??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankShot
I also think that the move towards the inclusion of a lot of online and multi-player game modes has lessened the impact of a well-written third person action game.

Come to think of it, how would a game with a single protagonist (e.g. Tomb Raider, Fallout 3/New Vegas) seamlessly transition into an exciting or interesting multi-player online experience?

Seems like you and I come out of the same background, and have similar taste. Tomb Raider and Resident Evil are among the games that dot my gaming biography in a big way. I'm so not into the FP perspective that I've bought games on a whim for no reason other than that they're third person. I picked up Dead Space knowing nothing about it, read the blurb on the back, noticed it was third person, and rolled the dice with it. It payed off. I only picked up Skyrim after learning that it could be played in third person.

To answer you're question about how these types of games translate into multi player, I'd point to Uncharted. The co-op was great, it's just a shame the effort it takes to build those levels, because after about a week you will have learned them all. And the competitive worked too, using big 3d sets that took advantage of the platforming elements of the game. And the collection element of points, and purchasing of add ons through them, like skins, or moves, or whatever, was a nice touch of motivation. Honestly I'm not a big fan of on-line play, so I'm probably not a great judge, but those worked well enough for me that I actually played them, which has got to mean something, because generally I don't at all.

I've got AC3, The Last of Us, RE6, and Hitman all pre-ordered, so I definitely know where you're coming from. There's also all the GTA/Red Dead/ and give Sleeping Dogs a try, for 3rd person open world stuff. And Skyrim functions too.

And I'd give Portal a shot if I were you. It's puzzle setting means that it doesn't move as fast, which is what really bothers me with the normal FPS elements, and I was fine with it. One of the better games I've played in recent memory.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote