View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 08:45 AM   #4
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: do u steamroll late screens?

I'm guilty. As Overdrive said, if players want to eschew proper screen technique and skip over the idea of establishing a screen position, opting instead to more or less set up a downfield block, I feel steamrolling that screen just about equals things out.

You guys may not believe this, but I actually used to play ball at a court with a guy who'd "set screens" halfway through a teammate's drive to the basket. As in, I'd be guarding someone up top, they'd make a dribble move toward the basket and get the angle on me. As I'd shuffle and quickly move to recover and as he moved below the free throw line, this big guy would decide to run upward and meet me halfway, literally like those blindside blocks you see on kick returns. This would happen in the middle of the paint, not anywhere on the perimeter (not that it'd be any more legal there). It's an extreme example, but it is in fact one of those situations where I began to anticipate it and instead of trying to avoid it, I'd go for the steamroll in hopes of making him think twice about his terrible strategy.

In less extreme examples, I still feel a steamroll is an adequate response to players who are knowingly attempting to take advantage of the game by running into the defender instead of setting a pick on them.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote