View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012, 12:59 PM   #24
pegasus
€uroInU$A

pegasus is popular on this boardpegasus is popular on this boardpegasus is popular on this boardpegasus is popular on this board
Default Re: Basketball Experts; Rate my game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
I mean this very politely, but one thing I'll say about that move where you put your right leg forward, dribble through it, then go behind the back and spin... all three of those things seem to keep you generally in a straight line toward the basket (like the move at 4:32). That is, they don't seem as much elusive maneuvers as they are dribbling tricks. In fact, nearly every time you crossover then spin or go behind your back, you're not really going anywhere - a defender could just stand still and defend those moves effectively.

That video is more of a shooting drill. In an actual game, I would mix things up by attacking the basket pretty regularly (left or right) that you would have to go for those fakes and lose your ground and give me enough space to shoot if I chose to. Trust me, that's what happens. You're just saying that because you get to see what I do in the end (not really going anywhere, taking a fadeaway jumper), but that's not gonna happen every time. I'm good at reacting to my defender, and remember that the step back is a "counter move." You use it only after the initial drive is stopped, and if it isn't, you take it all the way to the basket.

Quote:
With that said, I know judging things from solo shootarounds is tough because we're not exactly pushing ourselves in those situations. I will say, despite how effective you feel always falling away, I'm not a big fan of it. I think it's one thing to have a high fallaway tendency and another to not have the ability to shoot a normal, straight up, straight down jumper. However solid you think your jumper is right now, I think it'd be even better if you'd actually taught yourself to square and shoot normally instead of leaning and falling all the time. It just seems strange to imagine kicking it out to you for a wide up three pointer in a real game, knowing you're going to be shooting a fallaway no matter what.

Not that I can't, it's just easier for me when I fall back. Maybe I'll do another video in which I'll take straight jumpers. I can certainly shoot that way, too.

I don't take many 3's (I feel like I can always dribble a few more times, get inside the 3-point line and take a better percentage shot or drive to the basket), but when I do, I certainly don't fall away. That would be straight up stupid (or should I say "fade away stupid" lol), plus I'm not sure if my arms and legs are that strong.

Quote:
It's just a little tough to pick up on how effective things are without some sort of game footage.

I know. Maybe one day I'll post some game footage, too. Thanks.
pegasus is offline   Reply With Quote