View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 11:40 AM   #25
B-Easy8
Decent college freshman

B-Easy8 is considered somewhat coolB-Easy8 is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Why is the United States so much better at basketball than the rest of the world?

Spain which is so much smaller than the US in terms of both size and population came very close against the US so I wouldn't say so much better.

No one commits to basketball from such a young age like the US do, it's not nearly that popular anywhere else in the world. The Euro's love football, tennis and a bunch of other sports way more than basketball. Here in Australia, basketball isn't very popular, our football is what all the young athletes are groomed to play.

Most of our schools don't even have high school basketball teams and if they do, the coach will be an actual teacher who is willing to volunteer their time. When I was in high school, we didn't have an actual team. We played once in an interschool competition where the top 2 teams from the North, South, East and West conferences would go on and play for the state championship. We finished the top on the South conference but no one at our school was willing to be our coach so we were forced to withdraw from the comp.

You don't get opportunities to go far with basketball in Australia unless you are one of the best in the country for your age and im assuming that's similar for the rest of the world. It amazes me that you guys have high school basketball games on tv when we didnt even have a team to play on.
B-Easy8 is offline   Reply With Quote