View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 05:54 PM   #101
Nevaeh
National High School Star

Default Re: Barkley: ""I do think he can be better than Michael," Barkley said."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Realist
This. NBATV is trying to sell the current NBA. They can't keep paying guys to say, "No, the best has already come. Sorry you missed out. But stick around for some of these other guys."

Jordan was so good that... if Lebron becomes better (level of play, not accolades) EVERYONE will know it. Even people that won't want to admit it will have to. He's just not there right now. The NBA and it's television partners are selling the current NBA, not the NBA from 20 years ago. Around the Horn, PTI, Sports Reporters, Halftime shows all exist because arguments and teaser quotes are arranged behind the scenes. You can't get people to watch by saying the best has already happened, stay tuned anyway. How many people are going to watch because they want to hear Barkley explain himself? How many would tune in to hear him say the status quo "Jordan's the best. These guys aren't on that level, but they're good so watch them anyway."?

These are great points Realist, but I also think the blame goes to these "Halftime Shows" for insisting on even comparing past players to current ones in the first place. You can't start a topic asking "Can Lebron or Durant ever match Larry Bird's legacy"?, have a panelist say "I believe Lebron's already past Bird's legacy". and not expect Bird fans to speak up about it.

These shows do this because they know it's a sure shot way to keep both old and new school fans interested in the game; old schoolers watching Lebron to see if he really does measure up to Bird, and new schoolers believing there's no way Bird can match what Lebron's currently doing. It's a "win-win" business (key word) for them.
Nevaeh is offline   Reply With Quote