Originally Posted by BoutPractice
> To answer your first question, it is
1) the fact that Dirk averaged more playoff PPG
2) the fact that he got to the line more, making him more reliable even when his shot was off
3) his better 3P percentage
2) the very small difference in playoff percentage between the two despite the fact that Dirk had to consistently create his own offense whereas Bird got looks off of doubles and other situations that allowed him to catch&shoot more often. (And that's discounting the difference in defense/pace in the 80s)
Against the Mavs, opposing teams could focus solely on stopping Dirk. Against the Celtics, you had to crowd the paint to prevent one on one situations for Parish and McHale.
Bird also had a lot of series where it was obvious that he was struggling to score at his usual elite level. He even had back to back 8 point games in the Finals. That's not because he was a choker, but because tough defense made it more difficult for him to score when his jumpshot was broken, whereas Dirk could use his height to draw fouls.
Also, in no universe is Dirk less athletic than Bird, especially taking into account the fact that Dirk is a 7 footer. Dirk was actually fairly athletic by Euro standards when he was young - a 7 footer who could play some SF. And that's not a diss on Bird, it's just a fact of nature that he wasn't the best basketball body - if anything it makes his accomplishments more impressive.
Besides, I agree that Bird is far and away the better overall player, and again, he would absolutely destroy players in this era.
1) First Bird got more than 1000 games than Dirk, 'till he was 35, let Dirk career reach the end. Still Bird averaged like 6.5 APG in the playoffs, Dirk has 2.6, Bird always looked to make the right play rather than being always the scorer. When he scored 60 points he had like 3 assists so you can see what a scorer he could've been, even had like 50+ points, 10+ assists games.
2) Do you really think if Bird played in this superstar treatment era, he wouldn't average the same or more, FTA than Dirk?
3) Bird injured his shooting finger right before entering the NBA, some say he was a better shooter in college, still he didn't come up with a 3pt line and to do what he did is terrific. Shooting is not only 3pt and Larry had a much better FG%, why don't you mention that?
4) Catch and shoot isn't creating offense? Dude was the better off ball player I've seen. Doubles from who McHale? Guy was a black hole, could pass but not really a passer. Bird could create his own shot in much more ways than Dirk. What defense? Seen the guys I posted in the OP, plus they could held, scratch and whatnot while he was shooting, against Dirk touch him and it's a foul. Much harder to shoot.
LOL don't give me that, it was the Finals in his second year, and he did a great all around job when he wasn't scoring, plus he had no player really playing like a superstar that year, he killed it when he had to.
Bird was more athletic than Dirk ever was when he was younger, if you don't know that you never saw him play. Look it up.