View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012, 04:21 AM   #21
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

Default Re: Preparation for High School Ball

Honestly, I'm quite surprised and flattered you called me here. I'll tell you right now, I didn't have a good high school career, if you could even call it one. I played the center spot at 5'10, 170 lbs in a very small school which was an even smaller fish in a pond filled with medium sized tilapia. I always told myself I wasn't a true C, but because of the lack of size on my team I had to let go of my scoring wants. Nevertheless, you'll always be successful if you DO SOMETHING, and do it with every bit of PASSION IN YOUR SOUL. My desire to make the best out of my situation helped me average 11 rebounds and 4 blocks a game at, once again 5'10, 170 lbs versus 6'4 freaks of nature. Right now, I'm in college already, and college recruitment has a lot to do with connections. Politics, you see. Regardless, I'm training my ass off to get on the team, even if it's just the B-squad, so essentially, we're in the same situation, my Asian brother. I'm not trying to be mean, nor will I not help you, but I'm just that surprised. Gotta say, this added some fire in that pit, SPK. Very sincerely, thanks.

Anyway, down to business.

How to be mentally tough on and off the court

Confidence. NOT swagger. NOT cockiness. Confidence. As Rake said, there's a fine line between confidence and the latter, but that doesn't mean you should cross it stay far, far away. MILK IT. Milk your confidence for all it's worth. If you BELIEVE yourself to be better far than you are, you WILL actually get there, provided your DETERMINATION is in the right place. Confidence and determination are an extremely deadly combination, and there are many ways to get them. Read. Play. Train. Meditate. It doesn't matter. Just choose and DO what makes you feel it down to the marrow in your bones.

Ways to balance schoolwork, family, and sports

In my last year of high school, I was juggling schoolwork, Student Council, varsity, family, weight training, dance crew, inconsistently courting this inconsistent girl, village youth government, and a bunch of other shit I don't even recall. The main thing here is to set your priorities. In order to aid you in this, I encourage you to actually write down your tasks for the day. it doesn't have to be in order nor does it have to be down to the minute. Just write down the different areas in your life and write down what you can, need, and want to do for them on that day, then restructure. See what needs to be done first, what can be done later, and what needs to take a back seat.

I'm telling you right now though, as a future teacher, even though your schoolwork should always, ALWAYS come before your varsity (you're a student, not an NBA player, or at least not yet. Love in the now though.), you don't need to spend hour upon hour hitting the books. When you write out your tasks for the day, I suggest you write down your school stuff first, then write too how much time you THINK you're going to need for that. Then time yourself. Don't make it so short that you won't be able to do anything. Just go with the minimum effective dose.

Diets for gaining mass? Best type of protein supplements?

I think I've already shared with you my views on this. Just to reiterate, just eat real foods. No sodas, no sugars, and even no grains (Except for rice and oatmeal; Anything whole wheat or made with wheat, just say no yo). Like I said, I fast every morning, eat a protein and fat-filled lunch, then feast at night. A typical dinner/PWO meal for me looks like:

2 sweet potatoes with butter
Butter
4 eggs, scrambled
1.5-2 cups of white rice
6-8 oz of some protein (around 40-50g worth, aside from the eggs)
Veggies
A banana or an apple

Bottomline: Eat big to get big, but don't be a fatass and wreck your body at the same time.

How to get adjusted to VERY physical play

EMBRACE IT. Nothing else to do here but accept it's part of the game and learn to play physical WITHIN the rules of the game. Being an undersized C, it's easy to think I'd get bullied, but I didn't let that thought cross my mind one bit. Every center I played with was bigger than me but I made sure they would have to scratch and claw for every rebound or point they'd get against me. Being physically tough starts with being mentally tough. Adopt the attitude and it'll be.

How to get 'into the zone

Yo have to find your own way, but let me just say this. If you have to scream, kick, shout, or anything "beastly" before a game, you're just setting yourself up for burnout. Part of that mindset you have to adopt is knowing that you can play to the best of your abilities without having to unnecessarily psych yourself up to the point where it seems like a full moon just rose up outta nowhere. Stay calm, quiet if you want, but don't let silence mean you're not ready to go to war. Once again, a fair fight between strong bodies will go down to who has the stronger mind.

Tips on perimeter defense

Just the usual. The ball can trick you, but the body can't. Watch his torso and stay on your feet. Don't be afraid to play physical, but don't just go giving up silly fouls. Observe habits. If they can't get into their comfort zone, they won't have a good game, period.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote