Thread: MLB Thread 2012
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012, 10:14 PM   #3391
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Default Re: MLB Thread 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsfan1357
You'd be wrong if you think he's an elite catcher. He doesn't do anything bad really, but he doesn't have anything that's eltie on the Molina level. That's an elite defensive catcher. He's also not elite enough to be on the level of Mike Trout value when he doesn't even play 20-25% of his games at his primary position and two of his starting pitchers (Timmy, Zito) felt more comfortable with Sanchez at the plate.

Molina is one of the greatest defensive catchers ever, maybe as good as we've ever seen. Just because you aren't as good as he is, doesn't mean you aren't elite.

He's got a great arm, calls a great game, blocks the plate well. Posey has no holes.

Timmy didn't have a problem with Posey catching him when they won a world series. That has more to do with Lincecum and his struggles than anything else.

Posey & Trout are basically even as far as offensive value goes disregarding the positions they play. Trout has a super super slight edge.

When you factor in Posey playing catcher, a position league wide that has basically the worst offensive production out of everyone along with short stops, I think Posey's position value for his bat compared to Trouts makes them even as offensive players go.

Then factor in defense. I think Catchers are the most important defensive position on the field....and even though Posey isn't as good at defense at catcher as Trout is at center field, he's not far behind. I really do think Posey is a top five defensive catcher.

That's why I think Posey is very very close to Trout in terms of overall value he brings to a team, this year and going forward.

Last edited by Carbine : 10-13-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote