View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 11:48 PM   #48
joe
College star

joe is considered somewhat cooljoe is considered somewhat cooljoe is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Should the government cut entitlements?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcanzIIravor
Explain to me why they need the tax break. Did you read the link I posted or are you just spouting off at the mouth? You want to cut entitlements, but heaven forbid we start with those who don't need it at all? Yeh, how bout you amaze the class and explain that leap in logic. Heaven forbid we stop such and have across the board cuts on other things not needed before we touch the things that actually help people. Do you consider yourself a fiscal conservative too?

Well...... I guess I agree with you. Sorry, maybe I didn't follow your initial conversation closely enough. I definitely think we should cut other things before entitlements. Like I said before... if it were up to me, I'd cut the entire overseas military budget before I touched entitlements. In fact if possible, I'd like to leave entitlements entirely alone for the elderly and such, but I do think it needs to be phased out. I'm obviously against all welfare/government retirement programs/government health care in principle, but being practical it would be cruel and twisted to just snatch away an old ladies social security check that she's come to depend on. Def. with you there.

I don't receive (and therefore don't need) the tax break considering I'm a fairly broke individual, however, my main objection is not over whether someone "needs" the tax break. Obviously a billionaire isn't going to starve if he pays 5% higher taxes or whatever. I just don't like the language of "tax break." And I also prefer people spending their own money, as opposed to the government spending it.

Last edited by joe : 10-15-2012 at 11:50 PM.
joe is offline   Reply With Quote