View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 03:12 AM   #2510
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Default Re: 3rd Annual ISH Money League

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueandGold
So disappointed I fell asleep before the 2nd half last night.. woke up to see skip and stephen a. debating the fact that peyton went 13/14 in the second half while leading the broncos back from 24? Those points werent peyton's fault either.. two rookie punt returners fumbled two consecutive punt returns last night which lead to 10 straight charger points.. and this was coming out of the gate in the 1st quarter.

Seriously Peyton is the best i've ever seen. I haven't seen steve young, joe montana or johnny unitas play but i have seen john elway, dan marino and brett farve and i can tell you know peyton is better (slightly) than all of them. The brilliance of manning, at least, definitely surpasses all of those players. Some quotes that have been used on manning: "he's got a computer brain"(bayless), "he's a virtuoso"(coach gruden), "it's like trying to explain how a heart surgeon operates"(tim hassleback)
It's a different league now than it was when Unitas, Montana, Marino and even Elway and prime Favre. Today's NFL is custom tailored for the quarterback to succeed.

Similar to the way hand checking was completely taken out of the NBA making it hard to compare today's offensive players to those in 60s, 70s, 80s and even 90s, illegal contact and defenseless receiver rules have transformed the league. Guys aren't afraid to go across the middle anymore and, thus, QBs aren't afraid to throw the ball anywhere on the field because the health of the receiver they're throwing to is no longer in serious danger the way it was when guys like Ronnie Lott and Eric Turner were roaming the field.

The illegal contact rules, imo, have gotten completely out of hand and it has really handcuffed cornerbacks.

I'm not even getting into some of the ridiculous "can't touch the QB" rules that has made their position virtually like flag football.

Basically, the NFL wanted to make it a higher scoring, more 'exciting,' safer game That makes a HUGE difference.

Don't get me wrong... Manning is fantastic... One of the best who has ever lived. But, he'd have to mold his game to play even 15 years ago, let alone 20-40 years ago when it was basically no holds barred.

For those reasons, I think it's best just to rate QBs against their peers, not against other eras.
RedBlackAttack is online now   Reply With Quote