View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 09:26 AM   #79
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: Assassin's creed 3

So far I couldn't be much happier with it.

I actually put down RE6 for it, which I just wasn't enjoying, but it's not something I like to do. For me that's like stopping a book a few chapters in to read something else. But it just looked to good.

I did have some issues getting started because of the pace of the thing. The re-introduction of controls. The re-establishment of the animus story line. Honestly, if they just threw out that overarcing animus story and gave me a new era based open world action adventure game with some historical earmarks, a good combat system, a great locomotion system, and some stealth elements, I could really care less what else they did.

As some of you know, I'm kind of a map ravaging junky who has a weird desire to find everything. Christ ... I killed all the pigeons in GTAIV. So this game is filled with stuff for me. But those first few sequences as Haythem, I felt like I wasn't given much freedom, and wasted a lot of time running around looking for things that weren't there, both on the boat and in Boston. I've told my cousin who's still waiting on his in the mail to just hunt down the missions with Haythem, and he won't miss much.

I just finished that initial naval sequence, which is in large part training, and have since done little more than run around, avoiding missions, and devouring the map. I've stripped the frontier of all the feathers/trinkets/chests last night. And Boston I did the night before. Now I'm at a point where I have to move forward.

The game itself looks great. The movement control is the best in the business. Combat is clunkier than Batman, or Sleeping Dogs, but it's animated great, and this is better than those in getting around, even better than Batman's cape in my opinion. I haven't fully integrated the vertical kills yet. The map is full of life. The hunting is a nice addition. I enjoy the little barroom games, although I'm surprised how mediocre I am at them. So far I couldn't be happier with the story line and setting, the american revolution being something so familiar to me, it's so accessible.
I've noticed a few glitches. Guys standing up in the air. Animals getting stuck. And a few mission oddities, like Sam Adams asking to me to follow him, then not going anywhere until I realized I was supposed to be leading him for some reason.
Combat I feel pretty safe in. Rarely do I feel like I'm going to die. The random Bear attack seems more dangerous than running into Brit held fort. But I'm okay with it. I felt the same way in the last one. I really only die falling, but whatever.
The menu is a little clumsy. But it's not like it's unusable.

I really didn't look at any reviews for it. I'm surprised they've been less than great, but one issue this game has had in the past is a sense of repetitiveness over time, so maybe that will become an issue. So far I couldn't be much happier.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote