View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #1258
bisk

Default Re: 2012 College Football Discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
Ole Miss? Lost to Texas 66-31 and lost to Vandy. Their wins over div I-A teams have a combined record of 10-30.
Mizzou? Lost to Vandy and beat nobody of consequence.
Why should I believe both or either would be ranked if they played in a different conference?

We know that the lesser SEC teams aren't competitive enough just yet, but that doesn't take anything away from the top SEC teams. Fact of the matter is there are 6 SEC teams in the top 15 right now, and I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with 5 in the top 10 and nobody can argue it.

And here's how the computer partially comes to work. Combined with all the other different factors, it will also calculate thousands ans thousands of links between all the teams which different matchups and see which team beat another one who beat another etc...Eg: You mentioned an unranked Ole Miss, who are at the bottom half of their conference, losing to a ranked Texas team which is top 3 in their conference. Other link:

Texas lost to West Virginia who lost to OKlahoma State who lost to Arizona who lost UCLA who lost to CAL who lost to USC who lost to Stanford who lost to Washington who lost to LSU.

There's why a 2 loss LSU team is ranked way higher than a 2 loss Texas team. These top SEC teams won't lose to the lower ranked SEC teams who on their turn lose to outside conference teams and/or unranked teams. Or else they wouldn't be in the top 15. That's how it works.

Quote:
The problems go beyond just the SEC. I will say that I'm not a fan of this SEC entitlement BS. Yeah, they have a nice conference, but not all the teams have to play all the tough teams. Georgia's resume isn't that impressive for example. Some make it seem like only SEC teams have to play tough opponents. The problem isn't that the SEC is too tough or some nonsense like that, but it's that the system in place sucks. A playoff system would alleviate some of it.

Yea, I already said Georgia had the easier schedule.
That's why I would also love to have a playoffs system so we can see how much better or how overrated the SEC is.
That's also a lil' bit the beauty of it, these discussions of why this conference or team should be considered this or that, but still, playoffs to get rid of any suspicions would be best for anyone.

Quote:
That was an assumption, which is commonplace in college football.

That's why I used 'unquestionable' and not unquestionable.

Last edited by bisk : 11-11-2012 at 10:58 AM.
bisk is offline   Reply With Quote