Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Default Re: Is Varejao an all-star?

Quote Originally Posted by Rose
    Plus, Noah>Andy. get mad Cleveland.
    It just isn't true this season... And, I do think Noah has been the better player the last few seasons. This year, Varejao is having an absolutely incredible impact on games.

I'm just going to put up some of his statlines from this season so far. Keep in mind we've only played 14 games...

vs. Wizards: 9 points, 23 rebounds, 9 assists, 2 blocks
    @ Bucks: 20 points, 17 rebounds, 1 steal
    @ Clippers: 15 points, 15 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 block, 3 steals
    @ Suns: 14 points, 10 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals
    @ Brooklyn: 35 points, 18 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals
    @ Sixers: 14 points, 15 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal
    vs. Sixers: 10 points, 19 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal
    @ Magic: 19 points, 17 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal
    @ Heat: 10 points, 15 rebounds, 4 assists, 4 steals
    @Grizzlies: 15 points, 22 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 block, 2 steals

And, he's also been very efficient, even shooting 79+% from the free throw line so far... While bringing his usual energy to the defense.

I mean, look at those numbers... in 10 of 14 games so far this year, he has put up video game-like numbers. And, this isn't empty production. He has almost single-handedly kept us in games with Kyrie out and, while the Cavs' record may not show a lot of wins, we've been in literally every game right down to the end this year.

As you can see by the insane number of road games to start the year and the fact that the Cavs' roster has the youngest median age in the entire NBA (something like 23.5 years old on average), that is a recipe for few wins. But, Andy has been nothing less than spectacular and it would be a crime not to reward him for it with an All-Star bid.
    Last edited by RedBlackAttack; 11-27-2012 at 02:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    It just isn't true this season... And, I do think Noah has been the better player the last few seasons. This year, Varejao is having an absolutely incredible impact on games.

I'm just going to put up some of his statlines from this season so far. Keep in mind we've only played 14 games...

vs. Wizards: 9 points, 23 rebounds, 9 assists, 2 blocks
    @ Bucks: 20 points, 17 rebounds, 1 steal

@ Clippers: 15 points, 15 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 block, 3 steals
    @ Suns: 14 points, 10 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals
    @ Brooklyn: 35 points, 18 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals
    @ Sixers: 14 points, 15 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal

vs. Sixers: 10 points, 19 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal
    @ Magic: 19 points, 17 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal
    @ Heat: 10 points, 15 rebounds, 4 assists, 4 steals

@Grizzlies: 15 points, 22 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 block, 2 steals

And, he's also been very efficient, even shooting 79+% from the free throw line so far... While bringing his usual energy to the defense.

I mean, look at those numbers... in 10 of 14 games so far this year, he has put up video game-like numbers. And, this isn't empty production. He has almost single-handedly kept us in games with Kyrie out and, while the Cavs' record may not show a lot of wins, we've been in literally every game right down to the end this year.

As you can see by the insane number of road games to start the year and the fact that the Cavs' roster is the youngest average age in the entire NBA, that is a recipe for few wins. But, Andy has been nothing less than spectacular and it would be a crime not to reward him for it with an All-Star bid.
    I'm gonna say pace, and better coaching, plays a rather large part in that.(along with rosters to a certain degree) He's done an incredible job this year, against both good and bad teams. But like you said it's a young season still.

Noah's averaging 14-10-4-2 on 49 from the field and 77 from the line. Honestly I think they're really even, I was just trolling. Aside from the absolutely gaudy rebound numbers from Anderson, they're fairly even. One thing here or there a bit for one or the other. The difference is rosters, in regards to rebounding. Boozer for all the shit he is, at least typically gets his 8+ boards, and Taj is good for another 6 or so. Deng gets his 7ish.

Whereas, with the Cavs it's Thompson with 8 and then Zeller with 5 and it drops off after that.

Also it's not like the bolded teams have any major rebounders, aside from Reggie Evans (who probably didn't see much time in that game. No disrespect to Andy, I like the guy, and he's having a good year, hell a great year for him, and modern day centers. But I don't think he gets the all star nod, mostly because there's no center spot.

Also I'm gonna back up my original argument. Another case of who had the better numbers. Griffin over Love. Despite Love's absolutely ridiculous rebound numbers made it over Griffin because he could dunk really pretty.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rose
    I'm gonna say pace, and better coaching, plays a rather large part in that.(along with rosters to a certain degree) He's done an incredible job this year, against both good and bad teams. But like you said it's a young season still.

Noah's averaging 14-10-4-2 on 49 from the field and 77 from the line. Honestly I think they're really even, I was just trolling. Aside from the absolutely gaudy rebound numbers from Anderson, they're fairly even. One thing here or there a bit for one or the other. The difference is rosters, in regards to rebounding. Boozer for all the shit he is, at least typically gets his 8+ boards, and Taj is good for another 6 or so. Deng gets his 7ish.

Whereas, with the Cavs it's Thompson with 8 and then Zeller with 5 and it drops off after that.

Also it's not like the bolded teams have any major rebounders, aside from Reggie Evans (who probably didn't see much time in that game. No disrespect to Andy, I like the guy, and he's having a good year, hell a great year for him, and modern day centers. But I don't think he gets the all star nod, mostly because there's no center spot.

Also I'm gonna back up my original argument. Another case of who had the better numbers. Griffin over Love. Despite Love's absolutely ridiculous rebound numbers made it over Griffin because he could dunk really pretty.
    I said he deserves the All-Star nod, but prefaced it by saying I'm not sure the fans/coaches will give it to him. Those are two different things. None of us can control the votes aside from casting our own. I don't think there is much doubt he deserves it, though.

Also, I'm fairly confident in saying Varejao is a better rebounder than Noah. It doesn't have much to do with who they're playing with or any other variable like pace. If you watch him, you see how ridiculously talented he is at tracking and timing rebounds.

The easiest way to see the separation is through offensive rebounds. A vital statistic that has nothing to do with a big guy simply sitting under the rim and cleaning up the mess, but to me, separates the good rebounders from the great rebounders. Giving your team extra possessions in a game can easily be the difference between a win and a loss.

Varejao right now is averaging 5.8 offensive rebounds a game to Noah's 4.0, which might not seem like much, but it is when you take a look around the league. And, Noah is averaging more minutes per game (39.4 to 35.7).

In fact, no one in the league is really even close to Varejao when it comes to extra possessions through offensive rebounds. Check it out...

1. Anderson Varejao - 5.8
    2. Zach Randolph - 5.0
    Kenneth Faried - 5.0
    4. Roy Hibbert - 4.4
    5. JJ Hickson - 4.2
    6. Omer Asik - 4.0
    Joakim Noah - 4.0
    8. Tyson Chandler - 3.9
    9. Derrick Favors - 3.7

There are only three guys in the whole league who are averaging 5.0 offensive rebounds per game and only four guys with 4.0 or more. Varejao is at a fairly incredible 5.8 per game.

His offensive rebounding numbers get more impressive the more you research them...

The qualified NBA leaders in offensive rebounds per game last year were Kevin Love and Demarcus Cousins at 4.1.

The last player to average 5 rebounds or more for a season was Elton Brand in 2001-02 with 5.0.

The last player to average 5.8 or more rebounds in a season? You guessed it, Dennis Rodman back in 1996-97 with 5.8. His best season in that department was 1991-92 with 6.4.

Now, obviously we are only 14 games into the season. Looking at history, it is unlikely Varejao can maintain this pace of offensive rebounds, assuming he stays healthy throughout the year. But, when he got hurt after 25 games last year, Varejao was the NBA leader in offensive rebounds with 4.4.

I'm going to guess that it has been a while since, even after just 14 games into the season, a player has averaged 5.8 a game. That's just nuts.

You're right... Their numbers are fairly even... Except for rebounding and it is because Varejao is a more skilled, frankly better rebounder than Noah. There's no shame in that, because I think Andy is the best natural rebounder in the game.
    Last edited by RedBlackAttack; 11-27-2012 at 04:58 AM.

andy is a god at dribble handoffs

he just always makes the right decision, if you play too tight on the handoff, he will throw the backdoor pass, then the defender has to respect that, so after that he can really hit the defender on the pick, so the cavs guard can get a free driving lane to the basket.

its the little things that can make all the difference

interestingly, when asked about his career rebounding numbers, he said that he sitn doing anything different this year.

also, and i hate to say it, i think hes lost a step or two defensively. he used to be one of the best pick and roll defenders in the league, hes just very good now. he occassionally gets caught out of position, which never happened a year or two ago.

regarding andersons rebounding, and that he plays alongside weak rebounders, that is true, zeller and tristan are pretty aveage on the boards.

but the thing is, even with two middling rebounders playing big minutes, andy still has the cavs as a very good rebounding team.

when anderson is on the floor, the cavs rebounding rate is a ridiculous 35.7%, the nuggets as a team are first in the league in this category at 35%

so when anderson is on the court, the cavs are effectively the best offensive rebounding team in the league. when hes off the court we rebound only 18.8% of our misses (which would rank as second last in the league).

thats a huge disparity, and it speaks to how many balls anderson keeps alive on the glass for somebody else to rebound, and how much attention he draws from the opposing team, when boxing out (coach spo spoke before the miami game that it takes multiple defenders to box andy out), on top of the offensive boards that he grabs himself.

he has a simlar impact on the defensive glass, when hes on the court, the cavs rebound 76% of our misses (the raps are first in the league as a team at 75%) and when hes off the court, we rebound only 71.8% of our misses. that would rank in the both quarter of the league.

andys impact on the glass is undeniable. when hes on the court, we are an elite rebounding team, when hes off the court, we are a pretty below average rebounding team.

EDIT: all stats come from basketballreference.com, who now have on/off court stats

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

dude is finally starting to get some respect. Decent contract too.

If he keeps this play up no way the cavs are going to let him go.

This is for sure his year, lets just hope he stays healthy. I don't see any other center in the east close to him though.

NBA rookie of the year It's A VC3!!!'s Avatar

he definitely wont get voted by the fans and i dont think coaches will vote for him simply because of the cavs record

Local High School Star Nero Tulip's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jlip
    Yes. Is he in a contract year, or has he just improved as a player?
    He's been the most underrated player in the NBA for a while. Now he's just a little bit underrated.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by It's A VC3!!!
    he definitely wont get voted by the fans and i dont think coaches will vote for him simply because of the cavs record
    Agreed, team record might keep him out of it.

players like him can only make it depending on their teams success.

Right now? Yeah

Great college starter Black Joker's Avatar

dude is ridiculous; he has more offensive rebounds this season (75) than missed shots (71)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Joker
    dude is ridiculous; he has more offensive rebounds this season (75) than missed shots (71)
    Vesely with more fouls than points>

There should be 15 all-stars, period. Whatever tho. 2 or 3, Varejao and Bosh should make the team. Neither one is truly a C (most certainly not Bosh) but they're playing C. Noah is also very deserving. Those 3 should make the team right now. Still early tho.

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    You sonsabitches keep hating on Hibbert I'm gonna take a flamethrower to this place

Relax, Colonel Slade.