View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 03:50 AM   #49
Toizumi
veteran savvy

Toizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Top 10 Dunkers of All Time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
I understand where you are coming from, but my personal qualifications (and most others) differ from what you're working with. I mean, volume counts for something to me, but mostly only in terms of meeting a minimum quota. For instance, Harold Miner likely would not find a place on my list because he just wasn't around long enough to have an in-game dunking impact.

Otherwise, how much a person dunked per field goal attempt is not necessarily a sign of an all-time great dunker to me. When I think great dunkers, I think those with the greatest style, flair, ability, situational finishes, elevation, power, and versatility are the ones I value most.
If I went the Shaq route, I feel like we'd have to start considering players like Otis Thorpe, Kevin Willis, David Robinson and Alonzo Mourning, guys who dunked a lot (and dunked on people) but like Shaq, mostly did not contain a lot of the other characteristics I consider when listing great dunkers (while at the same time recognizing that O'Neal's performed 360's and reverses before).

I agree. Both quantity and quality taken into the equation. Dwight Howard has been the leader in dunks for the past few years, but he is nowhere near the top for me. Shaq however, did not just dunk a lot, he threw down a lot of nasty ones as well. The man was murderous. Carter has the best personal highlight real of all time in my opinion, but Shaq's is more than great as well. Take into account that he dunked much much more than Carter and he takes the top spot in my list, followed by Carter.
Toizumi is offline   Reply With Quote