View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #22
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Clippers' Opponents During Their Streak Have a Combined Record of 164-234

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Redemption
Clippers are only slightly worse than OKC in the halfcourt according to a brilliant breakdown I saw this week that broke down ppp in all scenarios, tempo etc. Basically the conclusion was the Clippers were slightly above average in the halfcourt at about 14th ranked. Now you have to remember the Clippers are ranked 20th in tempo and actually prefer to pace themselves. People see the highlights and assume it's a Run N Gun team which is false.

The Clippers fastbreaks are generated by being number 1 in the league in steals, turnovers forced and near the top in blocks. In otherwords it's their defense, not them running an uptempo system. So as long as the Clippers can play defense consistently in the playoffs it won't matter if the game slows down or not, they will impose their will on teams.

As for OKC... ironically the Clippers have had a tougher strength of schedule so it's weird to see OKC fans of all people constantly bringing up the weaker competition. It's hard to beat bad teams by an average of 15+ ppg.

Relying on forcing turnovers and transition points off those turnovers has the same drawbacks as a team that runs a fast tempo offense. The question is still, what happens when the game slows down, and those easy transition buckets are reduced? You saw it last night when Denver took good care of the ball (I think Lawson had 1 TO).

So the question becomes how does the Clippers half court offense stack up against the elite teams out West. Is it better than OKC? Better than San Antonio? Better than Memphis?

I watch almost every Clippers game, and while they are obviously a very good team, I'm not overly impressed with their half court sets. In the end, I think it's going to take Blake Griffin elevating his game in the half court offense in order for the Clippers to beat the previously mentioned teams in a playoff series.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote