View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 05:15 PM   #11943
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Django.

Not sure really. I mean I am sure that it's very, very good, but I don't know if it's great, per se. Some very memorable dialogue, some excellent characters (Samuel L Jackson!), but I don't know if it's just that I'm not a Jamie Foxx fan or what, but from the second Christoph Waltz's character was shot, and Foxx became the unquestionable lead and the bloodbath ensued, the movie went downhill at an alarming rate. The last half an hour was completely predictable and devoid of the style and out-of-left-field turns that QT is famous for.

So I don't know whether it's just that I don't think that Foxx's character was interesting or compelling enough to carry the film, or just that it decided to fulfill every predictable revenge film convention in the last half hour, but it just was like a different movie to me, it was so weak.

That said, it shouldn't negate all the positive aspects, such as its visceral portrayal of the South during that time period (which actually feels like satire/surrealism - great job by Tarantino capturing the absurdity of it all. It is almost funny until you realize that it's not made up, it's very real). Especially Big Daddy's speech to the woman about how to treat Django, and basically every word that came out of DiCaprio's mouth.

I also felt that Walton Goggins' character had sooo much more potential. Reducing him to a quaternary villain that you know is going to get waxed was a criminal misuse of him.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote