View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 05:42 AM   #40
joe
College star

joe is considered somewhat cooljoe is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Guns don't kill people; violent people kill people

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time
But I feel I am more free in not having to worry about other people carrying around guns.

I am free from worrying about guns, and therefore the freedom I might gain from being able to purchase a gun is moot.

You aren't more free, you are just happier with being less free. You are happier in a society with heavier restrictions on the freedom to own a gun. But that does not mean you are more free than an American. It just makes you happier with less freedoms.

And I also don't think there's anything wrong with that, at all. To an extent, we all want certain "freedoms" restricted. Personally, the only freedoms I feel should be restricted are those that impose on the freedom of others. And no, I don't think you have a right to "not worry about guns." Because if that's your right, than it infringes on the rights of others to own guns. And how can something be a right, if it simultaneously denies the rights of others? Quite the paradox.

I don't think you're wrong for feeling like you do, I just think these issues should be settled on a smaller scale. From city to city, town to town, instead of from country to country. Because of how complex the issue is, I think it's definitely more of a local government issue, as I feel most things should be.
joe is offline   Reply With Quote