View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 06:42 AM   #40
joe
College superstar

joe has an incredible reputation herejoe has an incredible reputation herejoe has an incredible reputation herejoe has an incredible reputation herejoe has an incredible reputation herejoe has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Guns don't kill people; violent people kill people

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time
But I feel I am more free in not having to worry about other people carrying around guns.

I am free from worrying about guns, and therefore the freedom I might gain from being able to purchase a gun is moot.

You aren't more free, you are just happier with being less free. You are happier in a society with heavier restrictions on the freedom to own a gun. But that does not mean you are more free than an American. It just makes you happier with less freedoms.

And I also don't think there's anything wrong with that, at all. To an extent, we all want certain "freedoms" restricted. Personally, the only freedoms I feel should be restricted are those that impose on the freedom of others. And no, I don't think you have a right to "not worry about guns." Because if that's your right, than it infringes on the rights of others to own guns. And how can something be a right, if it simultaneously denies the rights of others? Quite the paradox.

I don't think you're wrong for feeling like you do, I just think these issues should be settled on a smaller scale. From city to city, town to town, instead of from country to country. Because of how complex the issue is, I think it's definitely more of a local government issue, as I feel most things should be.
joe is offline   Reply With Quote