View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 07:43 AM   #43
MMM
877-954-1893

MMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: Guns don't kill people; violent people kill people

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
My problem with it is, banning assault rifles will not stop mass gun shootings. So what happens in 2 years when there's another Sandy Hook situation? It'll be, we need to go further. Ban more things. Increase regulations. But those won't help either, because the sad truth is you can't stop dangerous, mentally disturbed people from committing mass violence. They'll find guns to use, legal or illegal, if they want them. And if there's no guns, they'll use a car. Or a knife. Will we ban all of those things? Where is the line?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but not all assault rifles would fall under the ban. As for stopping mass shootings, it would be impossible to tell if the ban actually did stop a mass shooting. If some whack job was not able to attain an assault weapon and as a result the casualties were lower due to using less effective weapons, then that would be an example of the ban stopping a mass shooting.
However, I'm not clear on how effective an AWB would be in stopping said whack jobs, which is why I feel there are other targeted regulations and restrictions that would be more effective in achieving the scenario I mentioned above.

Quote:
At some point, we must recognize that out of all the humans, a small percentage are going to be screwed up in the head, and there's nothing we can do about it! We shouldn't take away the freedoms of law abiding citizens
in a feeble attempt to protect us from the small percentage of psychopaths. Banning guns or increasing regulations is just a feeble way to make the public feel better, it won't change anything, except the good guys become less free. That's my problem with it.

The problem is not everyone sees restrictions as taking freedoms away. Some restrictions or regulations are necessary to protect our collective freedoms. I have yet to see how anyone will become less free if the proposed AWB goes through, how does this ban impact on your ability to defend yourself???

Finally can you clear up some of the usage of terms like psychopaths and screwed up in the head because I don't think they equate to each other. I always thought psychopaths tended to be rational and were not crazy.
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote