View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 04:25 PM   #25
Whoah10115
Linja Status

Whoah10115 is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: Is The Center Position Dead/Going to Die?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS
Completely agree with you. And will go a little further and say that for as much as people seem to think that the center position "sucks" today, it is worlds better than it has been. In the late 90s to early 2000s teams were so stuck in the mindset that centers had to be over 7 ft and weigh more than 260 pounds, that they resorted to playing an inferior basketball player just because he had size. Now teams are more concerned with playing their best players instead of solely focusing on size.

Funny thing is that for as long as this has been going on it seems like the media and most fans just now starting to catch on. In 2009 I first pointed out that teams were starting to embrace smaller players ball we used to consider as lanky 4s (i.e. Al Horford, Tyson Chandler, Marcus Camby, etc.) at the center position and noticed that it caused the teams to be more productive and everyone thought I was crazy. Now seems like every team has that type of guy at the 5.

Here check it out >>>> http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=123791

I think you make some great points but I strongly disagree with the Shaq argument. Chandler was always a center. Curry was also but he played PF because Chandler was on the team. Duncan had Robinson so he was never gonna be a C. But after Robinson retired he didn't want to switch. There is not about Webber's game that would make you play him at C. His length isn't crazy either, neither is his broadness. He's thick tho, and he's strong. He's also just under 6'10. But not a center. Jermaine O'Neal could play center but he had Brad Miller and Jeff Foster. Plus, O'Neal is more of a PF. Camby is an out and out center who is skilled enough, smart enough, agile and quick enough to play PF. Shaq didn't scare any player of consequence from playing center. Guys like Dale Davis and Antonio Davis (when he became a starter) played C. So I think you have all of that, including the quality of the centers in the era, as completely wrong.
Whoah10115 is offline   Reply With Quote