View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 02:58 AM   #120
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Default Re: "Antoni and the missing "D"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaraw08
Yesterday, I was amused at how John Ireland ranted on how Max Kellerman was inferring that when the Lakers where winning that it was the players lead by Kobe who were actually coaching the team. John almost lost it and called Max full of crap bec he totally blames D'Antoni when they lose and givethe players full credit when they win.
That was exactly my point when DK locks his missiles on the coach when they struggle and totally ignore his contributions when they win.
But to a point, he is right ONLY if the team has 3-4 supertars with a great supporting cast. I like his analogy of handing a key to a driver to drive a well oiled Porche.
The problem is the Porche has some old and/or defective parts, a 39 yr old PG, a center with a bum shoulder, Kobe and Metta shooting like 30% from the perimeter etc.

Not to mention that there are so many new players on this team that are in the rotation that are still getting comfortable with their roles. The other day, Jodie Meeks hit four three pointers out of four against the bobcats. Before that he wasn't doing so well. These players that have roles need to also be professional and perfect what they are asked to do. If Jodie hit most of his threes, Ron was a consistent shooter, Dwight makes his free throws and hustles every game, and the team collectively figured out how to stop turning the ball over so many times a game, would we a) have such a mediocre record, b) blame coach all the time, and c) be having this conversation?
The coach gives the players their roles, and the keys to getting them good shots. If you have a bunch of wide open opportunities, and you either miss the shot, or you pass it up, then you are either a) an idiot, or b) just not really putting in your time to help the team by improving on what you need to do night in and night out.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote